miércoles, 18 de enero de 2017

A brief bite of my ‘Lieblich’ Germany

Have you ever think what’s the flavor of loveliness? I do. –I positively nod silently while taking another bite of my new drug: Snack Brezel. Like a week ago or so I got this amazing Christmas/Birthday present from Deutschland –Where my boyfriend is currently living. I say currently because one of these days I’ll kidnap him and fly to the moon right away.

His smile was huge when I open the box with all kind of snacks and treats. My surprise was his satisfaction and his satisfaction was my boots of energy. I carefully read all the names, I might say I pronounced them the best I could but still failed at some of them. I smelled each package trying to guess any kind of hint of its flavors. The colorful box offered me a nicely handpicked variety of senses. My boyfriend was so excited, I could notice he wanted me to try all of them and give to him my opinions –I must say I’m the pickiest person ever when it’s about food, so I understand his curiosity.

He carefully wrote a letter describing all the snacks, as soon as I started to read it I felt the first flavor: His love taste like sweet hazel milk with hot coffee in a snowy morning. It tastes like that invisible force that makes you function properly some mornings when laziness tries to take over your life. The second bite was Snack Brezel, a salty snack with a smoky flavor –At least for me. He kindly explained it was a variation of a well-known German dish. Even though he told me I could take away the salt if it was too salty, I found it perfect. I really enjoyed the salt on it and its crunchiness. I’d love to eat it while drinking a coffee. My third encounter was probably the one I still remember the most and the one I regret eating too fast as well. Lindt Excellence, Oh lord! I still can feel the chocolate melting in my mouth, like if it was too good to be true. Just by the name itself, you can tell it’s an excellent chocolate.

Like if it wasn’t enough, my next flavor was also involved in sweetness. I’m a sweets’ person. I absolutely love sweet stuff and Werther’s Original transported me ‘sweetland’ -If that exist it is in Germany, maybe the town where my boyfriend comes from. Before tasting these ‘cream bom boms’ I used to think ‘bom boms’ were only chocolates filled with dulce de leche or mazapan. I assume that’s only in Spanish. Maybe only in Peru. If I ever said I don’t like dark chocolate, Gelee Bananen made me take it back. All I can say is that the flavor was very interesting to me. In my whole Peruvian life I’ve never tasted something like that. It was very yummy but different at the same time. The banana gelatin/gummy inside is so unique that is hard to explain.

I was mesmerized the first time I watched a video in Youtube about the Christmas sweets in Germany. I remember seeing Dana from ‘Wanted adventure’ tasting some of them. I recall the thought of wanting to eat all of them. I love to eat, I’m sorry. I was very touched when I found two packages of them in the box. Akora | Edelherb fruchtig gefüllt are heard-shaped cakes filled with cherry and covered in chocolate, one word: heaven. The other was Feinster Spekulatius | Mandel-Spekulatius are a special cookie with almond –the variation I got, the other have cinnamon. I’m an almond lover so I’m pretty biased for this one. I ate it in one afternoon while watching the last episode of Glee. Yes, Glee. All I can say is that if you are into nuts, this is for you. –Ok, that sounds wrong. 

Last but not least: the flavor that gave me mixed feelings, Katzen Pfötchen. I mean… Licorice. I was very very very but very worried about this specific candy. I’ve watched many videos of youtubers trying German snacks and when they reach this point, they get traumatized by its flavor. I’m not trying to be mean or disrespectful because I understand no one likes to be told this kind of stuff about their food, I know, but I’m just trying to share my opinion. As soon as I bite it, I felt confused. The flavor was like nothing I’ve ever taste. I mean, with the Gelee Bananen I previously knew the flavors of chocolate and banana but licorice was absolutely new for me. To me, it tasted like syrup of curry, a bit spicy, maybe? In my country I could say it taste a bit like an alcohol named anís. I’m still confused about its flavor. I didn’t like it, sadly.



I have to confess that I didn’t know anything about Germany before meeting my boyfriend. I had no idea of their language, culture or food. I just remembered some basic acknowledge I learned in one class during high school. After dating my bär for more than eight months: I still can’t pronounce properly the umlauts, I don’t know much of its history, and I haven’t taste all the foods in there but I’m pretty sure that I’m in love with the few things he has taught me. Why? I don’t think he is an isolated result of Germany. I assume that the society where he grew up, the education he received and the love his family give him made him the amazing person he is today.  Obviously nowhere is perfect but I strongly believe that the context of one person makes a huge impact in his/her life.


Thank you for reading this cheesy review. 
Today's musical mood: Namika - Lieblingsmensc
Share:

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario